I've been thinking about the New Year a lot, and not about resolutions, exactly, but about the things I want to be more deliberate about in 2013. Although I'd already decided to clean the house today (it didn't happen yesterday) and to get some work done today, the majority of my day was to be centered around relaxing, with tomorrow being the day where I'd really need to start doing stuff.
And then, when I was making coffee this morning, it kind of hit me. I don't need resolutions (not new) but I do need to be more deliberate about the things I focus on and spend my time on (also not new) but being deliberate can only come after I can clearly point to the things in my life that ARE important versus what SHOULD be important and then be focused on those things. Ideally, those two lists are already the same, but you and I already know that they aren't. Is there a lot of overlap? Yes, but not enough - not NEARLY enough.
So here's what I'd like to do - end this year as I mean to go on in 2013. And this means re-thinking my day a bit. It means agreeing with myself about what's important, making a plan, and the most important part: EXECUTING the plan.
That last bit? That's the key to the kind of 2013 I want to have. I am a great thinker. I am a great strategizer. I am a great planner. What 2013 needs to be about is execution of those great plans. This is true in my personal life and my professional life.
In re-thinking my day, and how I want to end 2012, there are a few things that are really important:
- Family/friends: Mike and I will spend quality time together tonight, watching movies, playing some games, and welcoming in the New Year together. I will reach out to a couple of people who are very important to me that I've not done a good job at being in touch with this year.
- Dogs: When it warms up a bit today, we will take a walk around the neighborhood. There are very, VERY few days where I don't do this with them, and today should be no exception. I'll play with them and we'll all cuddle on the couch and I'll be reminded many times how much joy they bring to our lives.
- Health: I was going to give myself a pass today for working out, but I've revoked that pass. It'll be either Pilates or the elliptical, but it will be one or the other.
- Organization: There are a few things that fall under this category:
Meal Planning: I will make at least one freezer meal, but two would be better. I need to be better about this and planning my meals in advance. The benefits of this are: better nutrition, more free time during the week (when I have the least amount of it), and less money spent on quick lunches/take out, etc.
Cleaning: I will still clean my house today. I really love a clean house, and I can't really relax in a dirty one. I will also make our housecleaning schedule so that I can spend a few minutes a day cleaning rather than the majority of my Sunday cleaning.
Work: I need to take some time to put notes together on a few important projects, respond to a few emails, and end the year prepared to take on the new year.
- Fun: I will knit a little bit, I will spin a little bit, I will read a little bit. These are things in my life that bring me great job, and I did none of them nearly as much as I wish I would have. I've been so very focused on work, work, work that I've lost a lot of balance, nowhere as much as in how I spend the little free time I have.
All of this said, it's 10am and so I should probably get a move on. I want to be able to be mindful today as I approach the end of the year and think about what I want 2013 to be for me and those I love. Today I will spend doing things that are important to me either in a micro or a macro sense and I will end this year as I mean to go on.
I wish the best for all of you, and for a 2013 that is exactly what you'd like it to be.