In an effort to be more...sane...I've been making an effort to finish half-used products that I have open (this only sort of applies to makeup) and to use some of the samples I've collected before I buy new products. The upside? I actually have finished a few things and discovered some products that I really love. The downside? SOMETHING did not agree with my skin AT. ALL. (I know, I know - what did I expect, right?)
Anyway - here are the products I finished during the month of November (a few October empties got into the photo - obviously my system for organizing these things isn't quite perfect yet!):
1 & 2: Suave Moroccan Infusion with Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner. $5.99 each. I picked this up after watching a review from ShadesofKassie on YouTube. Although I didn't like the scent of these (too chemically, I think) I actually really liked what these products did for my hair. I have much higher end products in my shower now and honestly? I don't like them nearly as much and I don't see nearly the same results. With the Suave products my hair feels much softer and looks far healthier than with what I'm using now.
3: Maybelline Age Rewind Eraser for Dark Circles: $8.99. I've got way too many concealers open right now (this is one of the categories of products that I'm actively working through) but I do really like this concealer for under eyes. At a drug store price point, I'll definitely repurchase this unless I find something else that I like better.
4: Yves Saint Laurent Forever Youth Liberator Serum. $150.00. This was a sample packet so I only got a few uses out of this serum and so I can't really tell you how well/if this would work for me. At the YSL price point, however, I'm not looking to purchase a full-size version of this any time soon.
5: Bare Minerals Active Cell Renewal Night Serum: $50.00. This was also a sample packet and is on the list of potential products that may have broken me out. To be honest, I want my night serums to feel more moisturizing and a little more luxurious than this serum is.
6. Giorgio Armani Maestro Foundation: $62.00. I picked up a sample of this at the Sephora in Las Vegas the last time I was there because I love the Silk Foundation and wanted to give this particular foundation a try. I loved the way this applied and I love the way this looks on my skin so I purchased a full size of this during the Giorgio Armani Friends and Family sale. I absolutely LOVE this foundation, even for the $62 price point.
7. Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes: $6.99. I purchased a ginormous box of these at Costco a few months ago and use them every night. My complaint about these is that I feel like I have to really scrub my eyes to remove my eye makeup (I don't wear anything waterproof, by the way) and I don't like that at all. I've got a few cleansing waters that I'll use instead after I finish up all of these makeup remover wipes before I repurchase and I probably won't repurchase this specific brand/formulation.
8. Carven Le Carven Perfume. $84.00. I have a container full of fragrance samples that I'm working through and I liked this particular scent a lot. It's a good fall scent (at least it is to me) with top notes of mandarin and more woodsy notes once the fragrance dries down. I would absolutely consider purchasing a full size of this scent.
9. Ole Henriksen Truth Serum Collagen Booster: $48.00 This came as part of a starter set from Ole Henriksen and while I like many of this line's products, I felt that this dried down sticky and I just didn't enjoy the experience of the serum. I won't purchase a full-size.
10. Dermalogica Precleanse: $37.00. I love this. I love the scent, I love the consistency and I love how effective this is at removing the last traces of my eye makeup. I'm using the MAC cleanse off oil and once I finish that, I'll repurchase the Dermalogica. It's simply a fantastic product.
11. Napoleon Perdis Auto Pilot Pre-Foundation Skin Primer. $59.00. I had a deluxe sample of this primer and I absolutely loved how it wore under every foundation I tried it with. This is another category where I have a number of primer samples (who doesn't, right) as well as a bunch of half used full sized primers that I need to get through. Even though I loved this, it'll be a while before I need to purchase any primers.
12. Chantecaille Rice and Geranium Foaming Cleanser: $60.00 I'm just learning about the Chantecaille line and was really excited to try this cleanser. I did LIKE it, but I didn't LOVE it and didn't really see a difference in how my skin looked or felt after using it for a few weeks. I'm still really interested in the brand but I probably won't purchase a full size of this cleanser anytime soon.
13. Chanel Le Blanc Brightening Concentrate Continuous Action Serum. $195.00 I definitely preferred this to the YSL serum. If you don't like perfumed products, however, stay away from this and any Chanel products. Using this left my skin feeling soft and supple but for $195, I'm not going to buy a full size.
14. Kenra Platinum Intense Repair Conditioner. $24.00. I love a lot of Kenra's products but this was not one of them. I felt like I needed to use a lot of conditioner each time I used this and it just didn't give me the results I expect from Kenra. I would not purchase a full size version of this. I purchased this to use while I'm travelling and between the dryness of hotel rooms and airplanes and airports, I really need my travel conditioner to be super moisturizing. This simply didn't fit the bill.
15. Sebastian Potion 9: $18.95. This came as part of one of my monthly subscription boxes and became a staple in my travel hair care regimen. Again, I'm battling dryness when I travel and I liked how this tamed my flyaway hair. I would consider purchasing a full size once I get through some other half used products.
16. Neutrogena Clear Pore Oil-Eliminating Astringent: $5.99. I know. I KNOW. Some of you are cringing to see that a) I purchased this, b) I used this, and c) I finished it up. I will tell you, though, that this works well at controlling oil and as long as I balance it out with moisturizing products (serum, moisturizer, etc.) I actually love the results I get from this. I'm using something much more gentle right now and I am wondering if that isn't part of what's going on with my skin right now. Anyway - YES, I will purchase this again.
17. Chanel Rinse Off Foaming Mousse Cleanser: $45.00. This was too moisturizing for me so I am still on the hunt for products that will address both my concerns about aging and acne (in WHAT WORLD is that fair?)
18. Giorgio Armani Regenessence Youth Generator: $145. I was at a CCO earlier this year and found a Giorgio Armani set for about $60 that included a full sized version of the Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk foundation that I was looking for (in the perfect color, no less) as well as this serum. I really did enjoy this serum. I enjoyed that it hydrated my skin without leaving it feeling greasy and that it didn't break me out. It also felt very luxurious on my skin. I would definitely consider purchasing a full-size version of this (although I hope I can find it as part of a set again!)
So...that's the end of the products I used up in November. Here are the mascaras that I let go of this month:
I have FEELINGS about mascara. I want my mascara to make my lashes look as dramatic as possible because without mascara you can hardly tell that I even have lashes. Seriously. They're nearly blond (it's true and almost inexplicable). Anyway - I love trying mascaras but I have absolutely no patience for mascaras that don't do what I want. If I try a mascara and it isn't volumizing and lengthening then I'm not likely to try it more than a few more times before it ends up getting tossed. Sometimes I'll layer my mascaras or use different mascaras for my top and bottom lashes, but for the most part, I know if a mascara is a hit or miss right out of the gate. So - keep in mind that I want length, volume and DRAMA from my mascaras...
1.NYX Le Frou Frou in Black: $5.99 This is a nice mascara for days when I want a more natural look, but I could say that about thousands of mascaras so this is just a MEH for me.
2. Loreal Voluminous False Fiber Lahes in Black Lacquer: $8.95 This is lengthening but not volumizing enough for me. I know that it is a holy grail mascara for many, but it's not a total hit for me.
3. Loreal Telescopic Explosion in Carbon Black: $9.49 I can tell you that I didn't enjoy the wand on this At. All. so I tried this a couple of times and never looked at it again. It's been languishing for months, so it's going into the trash. This is a miss for me.
4. Napoleon Perdis Long Black Mascara in Durable Black: $22.00 This was part of a mascara set I purchased from HauteLook last year and I really didn't enjoy using this. I found that it was too sticky and I had to work too hard to transfer color from the wand to my lashes. I would not purchase a full size version of this.
5. Chanel Le Volume de Chanel in 10 Noir: $30.00 People seem to either love or hate this mascara. Me? I absolutely love it. It is definitely a wetter formula, but it doesn't take long to set, gives me the look I want, and wears very well all day. I also find that it isn't a drying formula so my lashes feel nice (and look nice) if I wear this mascara day after day. This is a DEFINITE hit.
6. Lush Eyes Right in Black: $18.95. I have said more than once that if Lush made makeup I'd never have to shop anywhere else for beauty/makeup products. Yeah, well...I was wrong. I didn't enjoy the application process for this at all and I didn't like having to have a supply of mascara spoolies on hand in order to use this. The color and formula is only OK and the application is just a total pain in the butt. This is a pricier mascara so I'm disappointed that I didn't like it more than I did, but I'm letting it go. This was a definite MISS for me.
So, there you have it! These are my empties for November 2013. I'm hoping to do a first November favorites in the next few days but I'm back to work now and WOW, getting my head back into the game after so much time off is challenging to say the least.
I hope you enjoyed this post and that you find it helpful. Let me know if you have any questions and have a great rest of your week!