I don't know about you, but I seem to collect lipsticks and lipglosses in my makeup bag throughout the week. Every morning I put the lipstick/lipgloss combo I'm wearing for the day into my makeup bag and then by the end of the week...well. It's a lot.
I thought it might be fun to show you what I pull out of my makeup bag each Saturday morning and it's a way for me to chronicle what I'm wearing any given week, month, or season.
Looking at this photo - there are definitely themes that emerge. In terms of price point, I wore everything from inexpensive drug store lipsticks to more expensive Armani and YSL glosses. (Also - I LOVE the Armani that I wore last week - the pigmentation is amazing, it feels terrific and it lasts 3-4 hours - EASY.) In terms of color, I stuck to either pinky/mauve glosses or very nude glosses. In terms of lipsticks, I was wearing neutral pinks for most of the week.
(Also? I love lipstick.)
(Also? I love lipgloss.)
Armani #501; Revlon Petal Push; Chanel Glossimer #106; Buxom White Russian; Moxie City Slicker.
Gah - this Chanel? So. Beautiful.
Lipsticks and lipglosses are products I've become really obsessed with in the last year and I love all of the amazing colors and finishes that are out there. Matte lipsticks are making a real comeback (MAC Heaux is GORGEOUS) but these aren't my 90s matte lipsticks, people.
I still have a few end of year posts to finish up (I'm looking at YOU, December Empties) but I'm very happy to report that I had a very successful no-buy December for makeup items. What I loved about the no-buy was that I was able to spend more time with what's already in my collection without feeling like I had to test out everything new and shiny (although I missed out on some PRETTY things that were released as part of various holiday collections). Because the no-buy was so successful (and because I ended up going through so many different samples, testers and even a few makeup items during the month - I am STILL LOOKING AT YOU DECEMBER EMPTIES) I've come up with a few rules to guide my makeup purchases in 2014 (come ON now, people - you could have predicted this was coming).
Elisa's 2014 Rules for Makeup Purchases
- Dude. No mascara purchases. Enough.
- Also, Elisa? You don't need more black liquid liner.
- And while you're at it? No more primer. You have primer to last you through the rest of the year, if not well into NEXT year.
My rules about makeup purchases this year do not include:
- Blush. If I want to own all the blush, I totally can.
- Bronzer. BRONZE ALL THE THINGS!
- Foundation. More than almost any product, I absolutely love trying out new foundations. However - I probably won't need (*cough* *cough*) more/new foundations for a while (January is a while, right?)
- Lipstick and lipgloss. World domination may be mine through the application of the perfect lipgloss/lipstick combo. It's true. Watch this space.
I like rules, yo. (Also lipstick.)